Friday, November 13, 2015

PhD supervision

IT'S THE TIME OF YEAR FOR PROSPECTIVE DOCTORAL STUDENTS TO BE APPLYING FOR PHD PROGRAMS. With that in mind, I have updated the About PaleoJudaica page with a note on my own availability for supervising PhD research. It reads:
I welcome inquiries for supervision of PhD research involving ancient Judaism, especially in the following areas: Second Temple Jewish literature, particularly the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha; Second Temple Jewish literature in dialogue with and as background to the New Testament; Jewish Merkavah Mysticism (Hekhalot literature); anthropological approaches (especially involving the shamanic complex or ritual studies) to all of the above texts; and the interpretation of scripture in all of the above.
If you are thinking of doctoral research on something related to ancient Judaism, do consider applying to work with me at the Divinity School of the University of St. Andrews. Feel free to drop me a note. I will also be at the annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature in Atlanta from Friday, 20 November, through Tuesday morning, the 24th, and I would be happy to arrange to meet with you. Or you are welcome to drop by the Scottish Universities Reception on the evening of Sunday the 22nd and to catch me there. I look forward to hearing from you.
Scottish Universities Reception
11/22/2015
9:00 PM to 11:30 PM
Room
: Augusta 1-3 (Level 7) - Westin