Friday, August 12, 2016

Interview with Gabriel Barkai

TEMPLE MOUNT WATCH: 'We experience the destruction of the Temple year-round.'Archaeologist Dr. Gabi Barkai speaks of battles against the Waqf and Palestinian temple-denial: 'They want to have their cake and eat it' (Hezki Baruch, Arutz Sheva). Dr. Gabriel Barkai (Barkay) is interviewed about the recent alleged attack of an archaeologist on the Temple Mount by Waqf personnel (background here and here) and about the Temple Mount Sifting Project (background links here). Excerpt:
"I can only tell you that I was there, and I witnessed extreme violence. I will continue my activities on the Temple Mount as long as the state of Israel allows me to," Barkai said.

The sifting operation has been ongoing for 12 years now, and has yielded nearly half a million archaeological finds dating back as far as the first temple era. Among the finds are arrowheads used by the Roman legions who destroyed the second temple. "We work here sifting earth that originated on the Temple Mount. All of it has a grayish color, which it acquired from the fire that burned the temple. On a daily basis we find burned animal bones, or objects with burn marks, and objects that belong to the first temple and second temple eras, so for us there's no escaping thoughts of the destruction of the temple year round, and especially in this time in the Jewish calendar when we all mourn for the temple.

"I'm constantly in a state of continuing excitement and emotion. It's not that I didn't know the temple was destroyed, of course I did; but when I have tangible testimony that I can hold in my hand, it's a remarkable thing," says Dr. Barkai.